Saturday, July 28, 2018


My Doctrine Is Not Mine

“Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him. Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me? ” (John 7:16-19).

1. How much of what we preach and teach actually originates from self? How much of God’s word has been fashioned by our own desires, attitudes, ambitions and understanding? What colored glasses do we wear when reading God’s word?

The truest indication of our knowledge of God will be manifested in our daily lives. Do we “do his will” in due course of our day? Action is the acid test of value. The engine and propellant that drives us to act is our spirit.

2. Where do we put the emphasis? What is the focal point? Beware of the preacher or the Godly person that preaches, “I”. Beware of the road to God that leads through someone else before Jesus.

Too many preachers and people preach, “I know”, “I saw”, I prophesy”, “I dreamt”, “I healed” all the while proclaiming that they are of Christ. These people present them self as having an insight, a knowledge, understanding, and power that you don’t. They attempt humility be proclaiming that these powers and gifts don’t originate with them, but rather have been given them by God. These “I” preachers are bold enough and proud enough to claim possessing Godly gifts, but consider it humility in giving God credit for choosing them as the recipient of these gifts.

People will consider these “I” preachers ordained by God as some “chosen one”. Often times these “I” preachers will go by names such as apostle, bishop or even prophet. Jesus never gave himself a title. His disciples did. His detractors did. But Jesus never went around calling himself by position, so why should anyone else? Who and what you are will be obvious and made manifest by your life.
The epitome of sin is “I”. We have an all-out display of the devil and “I” in the Book of Isaiah.

“How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.” (Isaiah 14:12-15)

Jesus asked us to love God and love our neighbor. Jesus said, “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13). To edify, uplift and to love others is what Jesus preached. The opposite, then, must be of the devil. Beware of the “I” preachers and teachers.

3. If perfection is the goal, then why kill the perfect? This is what we do when we deny, discount or discredit Moses, the law, the Old Testament, Jesus Christ, or His gospels. Pay close attention to the last sentence in the passage above. Jesus is justifying, verifying, and validating everything to do with Moses and the law. Jesus is justifying, verifying, and validating everything to do with Himself and the gospels.

Nothing is dead or passé with the Lord. Time does not affect God. There is no time with God, only now. What God has proclaimed has no expiration date.

“The counsel of the Lord standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.” (Psalm 33:11)

The Bible evolves not, it changes not. God’s word doesn’t suit the day or conform to the person. It’s the other way around.

The Jews, Romans and pagans wanted to kill Jesus and destroy the doctrine of God because they were a mirror to their sin and iniquities. Jesus was the light of truth that shown in every corner, whether it was dark or bright. Nothing has changed. Religions, governments, and sinners still want to kill Jesus and do away with the doctrine of God. Except now both are in our heart. Jesus and the word of God are in our spirit and soul. We are now the target.

Remember Ephesians 6. Put on the whole armor of God. Stand in God so as to repel the fiery darts of Satan. Remember what God told Samuel. It isn’t you that the world hates, it is God that lives inside you.

Our reward and lot is God. Standing in God against this world secures our place with Him
Jesus said, “Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know” (John 14:1-4).

Jesus did not say there would be no trouble. Oh no, quite the opposite. Jesus did say let not your heart be troubled. Why? Because that’s where He is and if God be for us, who can be against us?

Bill Hitchcock

No comments: