Sunday, July 14, 2019


Spirit Filled Words

“But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth: with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.” (Isaiah 11:4)

Our spirit and soul are transmitted through the words we speak. The words that we speak are also expressions of our spirit and soul. Speech is more than communication of thought, it is a conduit for conveying our spirit. We pass our spirit onto others through speech.

Our spirit is our essence and being minus the physical body. Our spirit will impact and influence other spirits. In that regards spirit is power. Now is our spirit divine? Is it of God? If so then it will affect the spirit of others accordingly. God and His Spirit will move upon that person. Like kind spirits unite, dissimilar spirits rebel.

When we communicate our spirit through speech it doesn’t necessarily depend upon the words spoken per se. Words are the vehicle and the spirit is the passenger that fills those words up.

For example, have you ever been around someone that you just knew was a Christian although he wasn’t proselytizing or maybe wasn’t even speaking about God at all?

The opposite holds true as well. You just knew in your bones that the person you were with was evil although nothing evil was spoken of. This type of discernment, being able to perceive good and bad spirits is discernment that comes from our spirit in concert with God’s Holy Spirit.

Jesus said that, “the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life” (John 6:63). Conversely, the words that we speak, “thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned” (Matthew 12:37).

The ultimate power is God’s Holy Spirit through the spoken word. A good example of this is what has been prophesied in the Book of Revelations. Jesus gives fair warning to the Church at Pergamos.

“Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.” (Revelation 2:16-17)

Jesus tells them to “repent” or I, “will fight against them with the sword of my mouth”. Nothing is more powerful than the spirit filled word. So powerful that the “worlds were framed by the word of God” (Hebrews 11:3). So powerful that Jesus Christ is called the “Word” (John 1:1).

To stress the union of the spirit and the word, notice the warning Jesus gives the Church at Pergamos, “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches”

What the “Spirit saith”. Remember, Jesus said, “the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit”. Guess what? The same holds true for you and I. The words we speak are spirit too.

God also makes it clear about His spoken word, that it will accomplish what it was set out to do.
“So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:11)

God has entrusted man with supreme power, with spirit filled words that will not return void!
“Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.” (Proverbs 18:21)

God well supplies for the needs of His children. When we accept Christ as our Savior, when we are in Christ and Christ is in us then we share the same Holy Spirit. What we say and do is as what Jesus would say and do because we only respond to the word of the Father

“And I have put my words in thy mouth, and I have covered thee in the shadow of mine hand, that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, and say unto Zion, Thou art my people.” (Isaiah 51:16).

God’s children will do and speak God’s will, there’s just no getting around it for we are all one.
“That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.” (John 17:21).

Understanding the power of the tongue and its capability for both good and evil, we should all “Be not rash with thy mouth….Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin. (Ecclesiastes 5:2a,5a). “The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips.” (Proverbs 16:23). “I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.” (Psalm 39:1)

The words that we speak have their origins in the heart. Jesus is in the heart changing business. Care to meet Him?

Bill Hitchcock






No comments: