Friday, July 5, 2019


Learning Obedience

"Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered"
(Hebrews 5:8)

Obedience. Jesus Christ, the Son of God had to learn obedience to God and His word while in His human form. He suffered spiritually, physically, and emotionally in remaining obedient. Never once did Christ do as He felt, come up with a better idea, or think for God.

“Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.” (John 8:28-29)

“I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.”
- How many of us can say we have done nothing on our own accord but only as God has taught?
- How many of us only speak of things that are of God’s will and word?
- How many of us only strive to do those things that please God?

Jesus Christ made it clear that none of His being, doing, or saying was of His own invention nor that of another man.

“If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.” (John 5:31) and “But I receive not testimony from man” (John 5:34).

Why do we contemplate the word of God? Is it for understanding or are we weighing its validity and judging its merits? Are our thoughts and actions predicated on what we determine? Or do we simply obey?

Do we ever say, “Oh God didn’t really mean that! He was just using a metaphor, a simile, it was a literary device used to teach a lesson!”

Or better yet, “You didn’t take that literally, did you?” or “it was a long time ago. Those things don’t apply today!”

It’s OK not to understand, in fact, the Bible makes it clear that we will not always understand what is said and it’s perfectly fine to inquire. For example, Mary didn’t understand how she was going to get pregnant by the Lord and asked the angel Gabriel, “How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?” (Luke 1:34)

Zacharias, on the other hand, after hearing that his wife Elisabeth would become pregnant after a lifetime of being barren, doubted Gabriel and asked, “Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years.” (Luke 1:18).

Mary had her questioned answered and all was fine. Zacharias, due to his doubting was made dumb during the entire length of his wife’s pregnancy.

The men of Berea, after hearing the word of God made inquiry into that word to see if it was so. “These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.” (Acts 17:11).

It is fine to inquire; in fact it is expected of us. It’s how we gain knowledge, wisdom, and understanding. But also know that we will not always understand, no matter how honestly or earnestly we dig into His word. Our job is to accept and do and doubt not.

“O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.” (Romans 11:33-36).

We are to obey the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2). Peter said it best when he succinctly stated, “We ought to obey God rather than men.” (Acts 5:29).

There is nothing we can say or do that is more important than obedience to God’s will and word. This is not an easy task. Jesus Christ himself had to learn obedience. He had to have the human experience in all of its painful glory. But just, “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Bill Hitchcock



No comments: