Friday, March 22, 2019


The Words That I Speak

“Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.” (John 10:11)

Well, that certainly is cause for a check up from the neck up. What is coming out of our mouth? Can we go grab a Bible and source our words? No, I’m not restricting this to quoting Bible verses, but I’m also including principle, precept, and doctrine that the Bible expounds upon.

Some of the most ignorant Christians out there are full of memory verses, able to quote most any scripture at a drop of the hat. But what does it mean? How do we apply it? In short, What are you saying and why?

Jesus made it a point to let everyone know that what He says does not originate with Him. It all comes from God the Father. Can we make the same claim?

Man is crippled, tainted and influenced by sin. The problem is, is that man either doesn’t know this or doesn’t understand the extent of the rule sin has on him. We must be doubly sure that “the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself”. This is more difficult than it may seem. The root cause for man’s fall was pride. The problems created by pride have never changed nor gone away. Symptoms or characteristics of pride are not always obvious and not always what we think of as pride. 

Arrogance is just one of many diverse symptoms of this deadly sin.

Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth wrote a great blog entitled, “41 Evidences Of Pride”. Yes, she was able to discern, define, and list out 41 different and unique examples of pride.

To defeat pride and the influences of sin, we must not only be able to say, but able to source our words. We don’t have to have everything memorized, just able to pick up a Bible and show the origination of what we said, be it in word or in concept.

But notice what Jesus says. He says, “the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.” Jesus transitions words through God to works.
Jesus expands upon this in the next verse.

“Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.” (John 10:11).

You know the old saying to, “Practice what you preach”? Do we? Jesus lived what He spoke of. Do we? Jesus was filled with God. God was in Jesus and Jesus was in God. Are we in the same type of relationship?

God fills Jesus, which in turn, fills His words and is cause for His actions.

Words are multi-dimensional. They are spirit laden. To give an idea of the infinite width, length, depth, and power of God’s word, John used “word” to describe Jesus Christ. When a name designation was to be given to our Savior, John used “Word”.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not” (John 1:1-5).

Jesus said, “It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life” (John 6:63).

Interestingly enough, the word spirit in both Hebrew and Greek also means breath. So, the Spirit of Christ was literally in the breath of Christ. For example, after His crucifixion but before His ascension, Jesus met with His disciples and He, “breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost” (John 20:22).

The Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ is in His children. The Spirit of Christ within us motivates and encourages us to live, move and to have our very being in Him.

The Spirit of Christ is also in His word. God’s spirit filled word will accomplish what it is designed and intended to accomplish.

“So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:11)

Now imagine the power of a Christ filled person that is living and speaking the Christ filled word. Mountains move, seas part, the devil defeated and the return and reunion of a lost soul back to God and His Kingdom! The same Spirit of God that “moved upon the face of the waters” (Genesis 1:2) at creation, will beckon you back home at the end, “And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen” (Revelation 22:17, 21).

Bill Hitchcock


No comments: