Friday, November 30, 2018


The Lord Is My Portion

“Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall. My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me. This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.” (Lamentations 3:19-24).

We pray for benefit. We pray for pain to end. We pray in gratitude and praise for the things we have received. We pray because of what God can do. We love Him for what He does.

But the Lord is my portion, not His capabilities. Our love for God should be for His essence and being, not just His acts or potential.

Essence and being are not an action. When you love someone, it should have nothing to do with what they do for you. You love them for who and what they are to you. If you love someone for what they do for you then it isn’t them you love, it is their actions and deeds you love.

Sometimes it can be confusing because love is usually expressed by the act of doing. But the act itself is not love, it is the effect of love.

Fallen man lives in a temporal world. Things such as love are seen and recognized in a tactile, sensual manner. But, “For we know in part, For now we see through a glass, darkly” (1 Corinthians 13:9&12). Our understanding and ability to understand are hampered.

“But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.” (1 Corinthians 13:10).

The Lord is my portion, not just His benefits. The devil gives benefits too. This is why he can so easily sway man.

Focus on the Lord. Hope in Him.

Bill Hitchcock

No comments: