Saturday, November 24, 2018


Prayer. A Lot Of Questions

When problems arise and we go to God for help, what do you ask for? What do you ask God to do? We really need to consider our prayers and supplications before we pray.

Cause and effect. The problem is the reason (cause) for the prayer. But what solution (effect) are you after?

When you pray, do you ask God:
- To stop the pain?
- For His will to be done?
- For your will to be done?
- For clarity and insight to the situation?
- Are you seeking direction? Are you trying to figure out what to do next?
- Is it resolution, restoration and closure that you’re after?
- Do you pray for closeness and a stronger relationship with God?

Prayer is usually motivated by pain, so of course we probably are going to ask God to take that away. But does that solve the problem? Will the pain return?

Psalm 142 is a short Psalm that encapsulates the motivating pain and sentiment for prayers most people experience.

“I cried unto the Lord with my voice; with my voice unto the Lord did I make my supplication. I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble. When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me. I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul. I cried unto thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living. Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I. Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me.” (Psalm 142)

Here’s something you should really think about before you pray about it. Do you really want God’s will to be done? God's will certainly is the Christian thing to ask for, but have you really thought it through? Are you prepared to travel that particular road of righteousness? Are you prepared for not only the journey, but are you prepared for the destination?  Or do you simply want things back to the way they were?

Is prayer a survival tactic, a last ditch effort so to speak? Or is prayer common practice for us?
Our prayers are usually motivated by an adverse life event. Outside of that, we are more than likely just offering a cursory type of prayer, like those at the dinner table or at bed time. Add to that, these type of prayers are usually memorized by rote, and tend to be void of any real spiritual or emotional significance.

But what most people do not understand is that we are to be “instant in prayer” (Romans 12:12) and praying, “without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Very simply put, we are to be “praying always” (Ephesians 6:18).

Yes! We are to be constantly in prayer! Prayer isn’t occasional or incidental. It isn’t reserved just for set times or for emergencies. We are to be praying all of the time!

There are certain qualifiers to prayer. We are to pray in the spirit (Romans 12:12) and if any, “iniquity” is in our “heart”, then the, “Lord will not hear me” (Psalm 66:18). Iniquity and sin are barriers and walls between us and God. For some this is difficult to understand but, “the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers” (1 Peter 3:12). Not only will God hear the righteous, but God assures us that He won’t turn His mercy from us when we come to Him with a clean heart. (Psalm 66:20).

What is required for a clean heart? Does this mean you must have never sinned? No, it means you must repent of your sins. You must recognize sin for what it is and be remorseful, regretful and then give it all to God and wash yourself of it all. That’s how you get a clean heart.

We must come to God with a clean heart and with a believing spirit. Jesus said, “Whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive” (Matthew 21:22). And if we do pray and don’t receive, then it’s because we asked amiss. (James 4:3).

We must offer our praise and appreciation to God. “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.” (Hebrews 13:15)

It’s all pretty simple and straightforward. But we really should contemplate and meditate upon what we are going to pray about. Try to focus your thoughts and understand what you are praying for. This can be difficult when consumed with pain, be it emotional, spiritual or physical.

A final note about prayer. Nothing should stop you from prayer. When it’s time to talk with God, talk with God! There is no right or wrong. As I write this I am thinking of an extremely painful time. A time of utter chaos and confusion. I had tears in my eyes, a strained throat from crying and an empty pit for a stomach. I was all alone in life. I prayed. There were no qualifiers, I just prayed.

All of the time. Pray, all of the time.

Bill Hitchcock

No comments: