Wednesday, October 30, 2019


Labels

Labels. They are dangerous. They stop the thinking process. They solidify a preconceived notion of someone or something in which a person bases their opinion or judgment on.

The labels I’m speaking of are those we place on our self and other people to identify who and what they are. In politics we have Republican and Democrat, conservative and liberal. In religion we have evangelical, conservative, liberal, orthodox, and fundamental. Of course, we have the range of religions such as Baptist, Catholic, Muslim, Hindu, etc.

Other labels we use on people include Yankee, southerner, redneck, country, urban, queer, straight, black, white, and the list of labels goes on and on.

We put labels on people so we can quickly identify who they are, what they represent, and how they think and act. Once we have labeled someone, we now think we know them, and we treat them according to the labels we have placed on them.

One of the big problems with labeling people is our idea of what that label means. Someone’s preconceived notion of let’s say, what a liberal is or what a Roman Catholic is, could be way off base. So now we must deal with someone who is prejudiced with false and erroneous notions of a person all the while that person who has been labeled has no idea of the error.

Jesus dealt with labels and what they meant. “When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 16:13-17)

I was having coffee with a Pastor recently. During our conversation I was mentioning some books that I have read and theologians I have studied. When I mentioned John Calvin it automatically evoked a reaction from the Pastor, and I was pegged a Calvinist. I quickly pointed out that I have read the Quran as well but that doesn’t make me a Muslim. I then asked him what does being a Calvinist mean. I knew, I just wanted to see how he defined the label. A little later in our conversation he asked me what I thought of Reformed Theology. Again, I asked him to tell me what it was. I knew, I just wanted to know what his idea of it was.

I read an article today about the problem of (not with) Fundamental Christians. The author, a PhD, never defined fundamentalism, but judging from the article, a Fundamental Christian to him is a cross between an idiot, a baboon, and a heretic. Now imagine the problem we would have if I identified as a Fundamental Christian upon meeting this gentleman. He has me labeled, he has his preconceived notions, he thinks he has me pegged theologically, and I haven’t even opened my mouth yet.

There has been a lot press over the past several years about the rise of the religious, “Nones”. These are folks claiming no affiliation to any particular religion. A lot of people assume that the label of “None” means that you are an atheist or an agnostic. Nothing could be further from the truth in many cases. There are millions of God fearing, Jesus loving, church attending Christians that do not belong to any denomination. They are by definition, a none.

Think of the nightmare I would create for many if I had to label myself. I would be an evangelical, fundamental, none. Peoples brains would melt trying to figure that one out.

Another problem with labels is that sometimes it becomes a mold that some try to squeeze them self into. Or worse, the person doesn’t know all of what a particular label entails. For example, someone identifies as a conservative Republican not realizing that this group is pro-life all the while he is pro-abortion.

I don’t like labels. Thinking stops and biases and prejudices begin when they are used. Folks are multi-faceted and rarely can be all the different points that a label represents. Often times you will find yourself defending a point of a label not because you agree with it, but because it is part and parcel of the label you identify with.

I have learned to ask people to define any label they mention. It helps to avoid a lot of misconceptions and opens up a clearer and more substantial dialogue.

Bill Hitchcock

No comments: