Saturday, October 26, 2019


A Daysman

“If I be wicked, why then labour I in vain?  If I wash myself with snow water, and make my hands never so clean; Yet shalt thou plunge me in the ditch, and mine own clothes shall abhor me. For he is not a man, as I am, that I should answer him, and we should come together in judgment. Neither is there any daysman betwixt us, that might lay his hand upon us both. Let him take his rod away from me, and let not his fear terrify me:  Then would I speak, and not fear him; but it is not so with me.” (Job 9:29-35).

Job so clearly states the problem man had with God before Jesus. God can have nothing to do with unrighteousness, which is what man became after the fall. This presents an interesting scenario considering it was God who was to save man from the fall and original sin.

Job understands that man’s attempts at righteousness by his own hand is vain. He also recognizes that judgment, the act of righteousness, between the two is impossible as well. God is divine and man is mortal.

There is an ever-present wall of righteousness that separates man and God, a wall that can’t be scaled or broken down. So, Job wishes that there was a “daysman betwixt us”. A daysman is someone who can act as a mediator, a go-between the unrighteous and the righteous, the mortal and divine, the natural and the supernatural.

That daysman came in Jesus Christ. He is our mediator, our go-between. Jesus is both man and God and is the only bridge between man and God.

“For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus” (1 Timothy 2:5)

“And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.” (Hebrew 9:15)

The only way to the Father is through the Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus truly is the way, the only way.

Bill Hitchcock


No comments: