Tuesday, October 8, 2019


Hurtful, Deadly Words

“Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.”
(Psalm 18:21)

The spoken word is so powerful that it was God’s method of creating heaven and earth. So powerful, that our Lord and Savior is called the Word and the great commandment left us by Jesus is to spread His word. With something with this level of power and capacity, you’d think we would be a bit more careful when we speak, wouldn’t you?

Death and life are in the tongue. Why aren’t we paying more attention to what we are saying? Why aren’t we paying attention to the fruit thereof? Why don’t we understand that some fruit is poisonous, deadly poisonous?

“A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.” (Proverbs 15:4)

Over the past several days I have seen several posts on Facebook from different people about words that have hurt and caused irreparable damage to them. One post had a hand drawing of arrows coming out of someone’s mouth and penetrating through the heart of another.  That’s a pretty accurate representation of what can happen.

“There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.” (Proverbs 12:18)

Some of the most hurtful words are those that are not spoken out of anger. Sometimes those closest to us can speak death and destruction to our heart and soul and not even be aware of it.

Probably the worst-case scenario is when you bring the matter to their attention and they get defensive about it. What you had hoped would be a veil lifted to an unseen problem now becomes a battle of right and wit. That never ends well.

Yes, there are those who seem to love to battle, “Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words” (Psalm 64:3)

Read the Book of Psalms. In it you’ll discover that a common theme throughout is David hurt and distressed over what people have said and done to him, with David crying with his voice to God.

“Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation. Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray.” (Psalm 5:1-2)

“In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears” (Psalm 18:6).

“Lord, I cry unto thee: make haste unto me; give ear unto my voice, when I cry unto thee.” (Psalm 141:1)

The fiery darts of the devil are rarely physical, they are certainly spiritual and usually verbal. We must check our mouth and know what is coming out of it and know what we are supposed to be doing with it.

“Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.” (Ephesians 4:29)

It can take years to realize the extent of the damage caused by words. Hurtful words can alter our self-image, our self-worth, and change the course of our life. Why aren’t we paying close attention to our mouth?

God is always the answer.

Bill Hitchcock 

No comments: