Thursday, October 10, 2019


It Was Not An Enemy

“Wickedness is in the midst thereof: deceit and guile depart not from her streets. For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him: But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance. We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.” (Psalm 55:11-14)

One of the themes we have been working with the past few days is when someone close hurts us. Sometimes it is immediate family or a close friend that causes harm, hurt, or betrays us. In this case, in Psalm 55 the injury to David was intentional. Sometimes, because folks don’t always listen to what they are saying, the damage is unintentional. In either case, there is extra depth to the knife that has been thrust in by a familiar hand.

David’s immediate reaction to the above was what you would expect from a warrior king.

“Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.” (Psalm 55:15)

Charles Spurgeon first says that we should read verse 15 by David as an imprecation, or a curse. But then Spurgeon writes that we should read it as a, “confident expectation or prophecy: God would, he was sure, desolate them, and cast them out of the land of the living into the regions of the dead.”

As God said, “To me belongeth vengeance and recompense” (Deuteronomy 32:35a).

“Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.” (Romans 12:17-19)

But then, in the next several verses, David shows why he isn’t just any ol’ king, but rather the king of God, living in servitude of God!
“As for me, I will call upon God; and the Lord shall save me. Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice. He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me.” (Psalm 55:16-18)

There are two very important things to notice what David did. First he goes to God. He did not take matters into his own hands. Earlier when David said, “Let death seize upon them” you would expect him to take sword in hand and kill his foe. He doesn’t. He prays to God.

Notice David’s prayer. Does he pray for God to kill his enemy; to cause harm and destruction? No. David prays to God for Him to hear his voice and to deliver his soul in peace from that battle. Instead of attack and death, David prays for recovery and peace.

All of us will be hurt by someone close to us. Our response should always be to go to God. Always. Peace, true peace is that tranquility of soul that can only come through Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. And you know what? We don’t have to wait for trials and tribulations to go to Jesus or to reap the benefits of Him! We can go to Him right now. In fact, Jesus wishes you would!

Bill Hitchcock

No comments: