Sunday, September 15, 2019


I Cried Unto God

“I cried unto God with my voice, even unto God with my voice; and he gave ear unto me.” (Psalm 77:1)

Voiced pain in prayer is like the whistling kettle. Boiling, it can be silent no more. The pressure of steam within is too much to contain, so with a shrill shriek the kettle lets the pent-up pressure of the pain out.

Agony and pain can build. Boiling about inside, the pain is birthed in vocalized tears and sorrow. In our prayers, even in our prayers does this happen. God hears. God knows.

“In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord: my sore ran in the night, and ceased not: my soul refused to be comforted. I remembered God, and was troubled: I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah.” (Psalm 77:2-3)

An overwhelmed spirit. Fear is added to agony. Not fear, but the realization of isolation. The thought of managing this world, alone, without God.

“Will the Lord cast off for ever? and will he be favourable no more? Is his mercy clean gone for ever? doth his promise fail for evermore? Hath God forgotten to be gracious? hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah.” (Psalm 77:7-9)

The true pain and agony is the belief that God is gone, never to return. No matter what we are experiencing nothing is more frightful than life without God. No God, no hope. No escape from a world of pain and sorrow, a world of destruction and death. No redemption. No salvation, just pain in perpetuity.

David’s greatest fear was being separated from God. But separation implies a temporary condition. No God suggests a more permanent state.

“And I said, This is my infirmity: but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High. I will remember the works of the Lord: surely I will remember thy wonders of old. I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.” (Psalm 77:10-12)

Reflection. Introspection. We can still, “be”. Why? How? God always “is”. God has always been and always will be. God is not gone, that’s impossible. We may not be in his presence, per se. But God is omnipresent. He is. He always, “is”.

What are we to do in the absence of our Lord?

“Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.” (Philippians 4:4-9)

We are to rejoice always, not just when God is felt. We are to be God like and to love our neighbor always, not just when we think God is looking. We are to never fear and to thankfully, gratefully go to God, even if we aren’t sure where He is. Faith never falters even when we have no cause for it, even when we have proof to the contrary.

If God removes himself from our presence there is a reason why. God will only act in our benefit. Separation is usually a matter of faith and self-reliance. We have too little of one and too much of the other.

We began this message with, ““I cried unto God with my voice, even unto God with my voice”. We then found out that God, “gave ear unto me.” Always remember that. No matter where our relationship is with God. No matter the personal hell we may be in. God is always within ear shot. Come to Him in spirit and in truth. God will hear and will make Himself known to you.

Bill Hitchcock

No comments: