Monday, July 24, 2017

Asking God for Mercy

I said, Lord, be merciful unto me: heal my soul; for I have sinned against thee.” (Psalm 41:4)
Lord show favor towards me and heal my soul for I have sinned against you. Asking God for mercy is what we are to do in all case scenarios for we are not owed nor have we earned anything from Him. All benefits are a gift from God due to His mercy and free grace.

Keep in mind that God’s mercy is not automatic. Often times we are to suffer for a time or a time multiplied by a time for reasons known only to God. But this we do know, if God is withholding a benefit it is for our benefit that it is being done.

But notice what the Psalmist asked for. He asks for his soul to be healed because he sinned against God. The pain and woe of his soul are because of some sin he did towards God. All sin is directed towards God. But this is a true repentant heart speaking here. Be merciful. I hurt. I sinned against you. This is bold, upfront and upright. The Psalmist from the very start has shown his boldness of heart when he started his supplication with “I said!” It is not a command but a strong calling. How many of us stand at the throne of grace and boldly call on the Father and ask for mercy and admit our sins?

The Psalmist then goes on to describe what evil his soul has been suffering.
“Mine enemies speak evil of me, When shall he die, and his name perish? And if he come to see me, he speaketh vanity: his heart gathereth iniquity to itself; when he goeth abroad, he telleth it. All that hate me whisper together against me: against me do they devise my hurt. An evil disease, say they, cleaveth fast unto him: and now that he lieth he shall rise up no more. Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.” (Psalm 41:5-9)

We find out what has hurt his soul so badly. It has been other people both friend and foe and the words that they have spoken about him. Some of the most pain anyone can experience are the words of others about us. Even when it comes from our worst enemies. Lies and vile words aptly said that make way into our heart, hurt more than a bullet or arrow and can crush anyone’s soul.

“I said….Heal my soul!” There is no messing around with the Psalmist. He knows he did wrong and immediately goes to the Father to have the matter settled. He didn’t engage his friends and enemies and get caught up in a war of words! No he goes where the authority and salvation are with God.

It can be difficult to not engage in an argument with those who speak poorly about you. But remember this:
“Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away. For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.” (Proverbs 4:14-16)

Also remember that the sin is between you and God and so is your salvation. Take your problems boldly to God and ask for mercy.

“But thou, O Lord, be merciful unto me, and raise me up, that I may requite them.” (Psalm 41:10)

The Psalmist once again asks God to be merciful and to lift him up out of his hurt and beleaguered soul. He asks God to raise him up in power, strength and conviction so that he may make peace with those who have attacked and assailed him.

“But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.” (Luke 6:27-29)

Only by God’s strength can we be raised up out of a down trodden and despondent soulful condition. And only by God can we have the spirit to make peace and to love thy neighbor under any and all conditions.

“Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.” (Luke 6:36)

“By this I know that thou favourest me, because mine enemy doth not triumph over me.” (Psalm 41:11)

Sometimes we get so involved in the fight and the damage it is doing to us to realize that the enemy is not and cannot win! If we would let go of the fight and let God do the fighting then we suffer no more and the battle is won.

“And as for me, thou upholdest me in mine integrity, and settest me before thy face for ever.” (Psalm 41:12)

It is God’s righteousness, it is His integrity, not ours that upholds us every minute of our lives. All things are of God and from God. We are but an empty vessel that he fills and holds upright.
“Blessed be the Lord God of Israel from everlasting, and to everlasting. Amen, and Amen.” (Psalm 41:13)

The Lord of Israel from everlasting and to everlasting, from forever on through forever. In perpetuity is our Lord and so is His love and mercy for each of us.

Bill Hitchcock

No comments: