Tuesday, September 19, 2017

One Vessel Unto Honour, And Another Unto Dishonour

The following passage addresses one of the most controversial and misunderstood concepts from the Bible; election and predestination. Here the Apostle Paul makes clear that the elect and reprobate are chosen by God. Paul uses Pharaoh as an example of a reprobate God chose. Election is not left solely in man’s hands. It is not left to he who “willeth” (desire, wish, intend) or “runneth” (strive, exert, attempt to attain).  

“For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.  So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?” (Romans 9:15-21).

Have you heard the gospel call? Then you are chosen. Has Jesus Christ touched your heart? You are of the elect. Are you drawn to God above? Then you are predestined to Him. You are a “vessel unto honour”.

If God and His word is foolishness to you. If none of it penetrates your heart and spirit. If you are stoic, and untouched by the truth. If you don’t care for or don’t believe in God, then either the Holy Spirit has yet to awaken your spirit or you’ve been made a “vessel onto dishonor”.

It’s a cold hard fact. God is the potter. He takes the clay and forms the lump, not us.

Bill Hitchcock

No comments: