Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Sure Mercies Of David

“Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.” (Isaiah 55:3)

The sure mercies of David is the covenant of God with man. “Sure”, in that it is fixed. What God says or speaks, is, or will be, within the realm of man’s understanding of time and events. Speaking and existence are the same with God. There is no difference between what God says and what is.

God is the great, “I AM”. “Am”, means to be, is, was, and will be. God represents all tenses of existence. As such, so does God’s words. What He says is, was and will be.

Speaking, being and existing are the same thing with God, all in the same time. Past, present and future are one tense. It is always “now” with God. With God, existence is not predicated on time, space or matter.

God’s will is only good. God only speaks His will. God’s covenant with man is God’s will with man as the end good.

“I will make an everlasting covenant with you”. Time, as man understands it to be, is a measurement of degradation. Rate of time (fast/slow) is relative. It is a comparison of 2 or more things in the process of degradation.

Neither God nor His word can degrade, deteriorate as is, or in any form alter, change, vary or move without God being the cause of such effects. Therefore time as we know it, has no effect on God or His word.  So, “The sure mercies of David” are still valid, true and carries the same weight and effect as the day it was first stated. It is from everlasting to everlasting.

And what is this covenant? What are “The sure mercies of David”

“I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations. For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens. I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant, Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah.” (Psalm 89:1-4)

“I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men: But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee. And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.” (2 Samuel 7: 14-16)

Bill Hitchcock


No comments: