Monday, September 3, 2018


His Elect, His Chosen, His Children

“I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments.” (Psalm 119:176)

“I have gone astray” is by definition, sin. To miss the mark, to fall or to wander from the path of uprightness is the literal definition of the Greek, “Hamartano” or sin.

It isn’t that the Psalmist has committed a sin, but rather he is confessing to sin being active in his life. He identifies himself as “lost sheep”. This is quite significant in that he stills identifies as a child of God (sheep), and not an apostate. He still believes and has faith in God. Further proof of this is when he states, “I do not forget thy commandments”. But the Psalmist has sinned and wandered off the path of righteousness, and into the darkness and void of the lost. Many would give up under such conditions.

But look at the Psalmist one request to God. He pleads to Him saying, “Seek thy servant”.
When we stumble and fall, when we divert from the path of righteousness and find our self, surrounded by darkness, rest assured that God knows who we are and where we are. We are never lost to God.

Jesus said to God, “While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost.” (John 17:12)

God’s chosen, the elect people, or as Jesus phrased it, “those that thou gavest me”. Jesus himself said, “I have kept and none of them lost”.

No matter how lost, how dark or how far away from righteousness you may have wandered, call out to God. Ask Him to “seek thy servant”.

God said, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:11-13)

Jesus said, “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.” (Matthew 7:7-8).

From your perspective you were lost, but not from God’s perspective. He knows where every single one of His elect, His chosen, His children are at all times. Just call out to Him.

Bill Hitchcock

No comments: