Saturday, August 18, 2018


To Live Is Christ

“For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you. And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith; That your rejoicing may be more abundant in Jesus Christ for me by my coming to you again.” (Philippians 1:21-26)

For to me to live “is” Christ, and to die is gain. What an absolutely magnificent statement. Paul is saying that for him, his existence here on this earth is to “be” Christ. Now some may immediately think in terms of “being” holy and righteous and of “doing” miracles and wonders. No! For that was not who Christ was.

Jesus Christ “is” our Savior. His goal and purpose was to redirect us back on course to God. Christ didn’t come here for His benefit. He came here for our benefit.

“For me to live is Christ”: Paul knew that his life here on earth was to follow up in the steps of Jesus. To work the work of Christ in bringing mankind back onto the pathway to God. This requires one thing, self-sacrifice.

“To die is gain”: Yes, it would benefit Christ to stay in heaven and benefit Paul to go to heaven. But again, neither were serving self. They both gave up self to save all of humanity.

So, what “is” Christ? Nothing more than self-sacrifice towards all in hopes of saving all, but knowing you’ll only save some. I can only imagine that that was the greatest pain for Christ, the realization that all are offered but only some will respond.

Paul said, “I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.” (1 Corinthians 9:22).

Look at the power in the words of Paul and his overwhelming desire to serve, preserve, and save man. Paul said, “to abide in the flesh is more needful for you” so he was going to, “abide and continue with you all”. Why? “For your furtherance and joy of faith” so that, “your rejoicing may be more abundant in Jesus Christ”.

How many of us would by-pass heaven to stay here in this world so as to help along someone else’s faith in Christ?

Paul here is defining what a true minister (servant) of God is to be. “For to me to live is Christ”. It is to be Christ, to give up self in an effort to advance all to Christ. It’s the ultimate pushing a boulder up a hill. Paul knew that. Christ knew that. Both did it.

Bill Hitchcock





No comments: