Saturday, May 12, 2018


As I Have Thought

“The Lord of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand” (Isaiah 14:24)

The above passage was pulled from the Book of Isaiah. It is concerning the prophecy God made about Babylon. It is part of an oath from God, intended to offer consolation and comfort to the Jews that the promise He made to them will come to pass.

What is significant to note in the passage is the process of God, how He creates and causes things to happen.

“Surely as I have thought”. As I have meditated upon and thought to have happen.
“…as I have purposed..” What I have determined to accomplish.
“…so shall it stand”. So it shall be established.

The following from Samuel Smiles, although not written about God, may be the closest we can get to how God creates and establishes things. It certainly is God like and something we all should attempt to do.

“Sow a thought, and you reap an act;
Sow an act, and you reap a habit;
Sow a habit, and you reap a character;
Sow a character, and you reap a destiny.”
― Samuel Smiles


A thought, an act, forms the character to which paves the path of our destiny.

It is also interesting to note that God will state His objectives and inform man before doing them. Man knows in advance what God is going to do. This should bring sin into perspective. We’ve been warned. We know what is going to happen if we remain a sinner. We also have been told what is going to happen if we repent of those sins. It’s all been established.

Man knows in advance what God is going to do. If in doubt what happens next, just read the Book of Revelations.

God determines, establishes and then announces. This process can best be summed up with God announcing to Moses who He was.

“And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am” (Exodus 3:14).

I AM.  I exist! I am present. I am omnipresent. I am omnipotent. I am universal. I am Alpha and Omega. I am from everlasting to everlasting. I am the way, the truth and the life. All of this and more was expressed perfectly by God in the two little words, “I AM”.

God simply “is”, and that’s difficult, actually impossible for man to wrap his head around. That’s why we must understand God “to be” through faith alone. We are also to accept what He does and why He does it by faith as well. God’s existence, His thoughts and His actions are simply too big for man to grasps in totality. See Romans 11:33-36.

So, we have a God that, “is”, let’s now look at how He creates. God’s process of creation was expressed perfectly in the very first verse of the Bible.

“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth” (Genesis 1:1).

Man’s starting point concerns space, time and matter. This is why God is confusing to man because God is before all of that. God created space, time and matter.

“In the beginning (Time) God (He who was before everything) created (God is the first cause of everything) the heaven (Space) and the earth (Matter).

Man trips up on this first statement. Man’s solution to the creation of everything is the Big Bang Theory. This theory tries to explain creation with a sudden and abrupt “explosion” of elements in an outward direction into space, thus creating the universe. The three glaring problems with this theory are:
1. Where did these elements come from? How did they get created?
2. Where did space come from?
3. What was the first cause? Not only do we need to know what created the elements and space, but what created the initial energy, the force, the explosion that set everything into motion?

None of these things can be explained by man.

The only way to explain it is that God simply is” and God simply “does”. His existence, His reasons and His actions must simply be taken on faith.

Fear not! Rest assured that what God has created and established is for the benefit of His children and will come to pass!

“Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand”
Our promise has come in Jesus Christ, our path has been established through His word.

Bill Hitchcock

No comments: